Books | Articles
| BC Adventure | Home
Barry knows B.C. He was raised in the Okanagan and has lived in most
regions of the province including; the Peace River, the Kootenays, the
Okanagan, the Lower Mainland and, Vancouver Island. Over the years he
has travelled, fished, hunted, photographed and written about all regions
of the province.
To date he has published over 600 outdoor columns and magazine articles
and, over 500 photographs. He has authored two B.C. fishing books, "Steelhead",
and "Saltwater Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon" and the fact/fiction
work "Salgair; A Steelhead Odyssey". He is also a popular
speaker who has presented over 100 seminars and talks.
Founding chairman and three times President of the Steelhead Society
of B.C., he is a devoted and knowledgeable fisherman and outdoorsman
who has much to share about British Columbia.
COMMUNITY & ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVITIES
Founding Chairman; three times President Steelhead Society of B.C.
Elected Director B.C. Wildlife Federation.
Co-Chairman and National delegate B.C. Man & Resources Program.
Delegate and Vice-Chairman Salmonid Enhancement Task Group.
Past President Comox Rotary Club.
RETIRED Public School Principal, with 35yrs as a successful educator.
Administrative and teaching experience in Dawson Creek, Vernon, Creston,
Courtenay and Comox.
AUTHOR, CO-AUTHOR, COLUMNIST, PHOTOGRAPHER, free-lance magazine WRITER,
and Seminar speaker.
Currently active member of:
Outdoor Writers of Canada, Outdoor Writers Association of America,
Chairman OWAA Education Committee, and the Northwest Outdoor Writers
O U T D O O R W R I T I N G R E S U M
Current Magazine articles published by:
"Wing & Shot"; "Petersen's Hunting"; "Wildfowl";
"Real Outdoors"; "B.C. Outdoors"; "Outdoor
Edge"; "Fly Fishing in Salt Waters"; "Western Sportsman";
" Western FlyFishing"; "Salmon, Trout, Steelheader".
Recent seminars at:
Washington Fly Fishers, WA; Northwest Fly Fishers, WA; Haig-Brown Fly
Fishers, BC; B.C. Federation of Fly Fishers; South Sound Fly fishers,
WA; Clark-Skamania Fly fishers, WA; Comox Valley Fly Fishers, BC; Helena
Prickly Pear Sportsmans Assoc. MT; Great Falls Sportsmans Assoc.,MT
; Mid Island Castaway Fly Fishers, BC; Island Fly Fishers, BC. Vancouver,
Victoria and Abottsford Outdoor Shows.
Currently columnist for:
British Columbia Outdoors columnist for "B.C. Adventure Network"
on the internet;
British Columbia 'Gillie' fly fishing columnist for "Flyfishers
Online" on the internet;
Salmon & Steelhead fly fishing columnist for "Island Angler";
Outdoors Columnist for "Comox Valley Echo".
- 1997 Author; "Salgair, a Steelhead Odyssey;" Hanock House.
- 1995 Author; "Saltwater Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon;"
(*Northwest Outdoor Writers Assoc. award recipient 1996.)
- 1995 Author; "Steelhead;" Hancock House
- 1994 Co-author; "The Ardent Angler."
- 1994 Contributor; Island Angler's, "Guide to Island Rivers."
- 1993 Contributor; Dept. Fisheries & Oceans; "Stream Walk-Stream
- 1992 Contributor; "Gently Down the Stream;" S.E.P. Educator's
- 1985 Co-author; "The Gilly;" B.C. Federation Fly Fishers
- 1978 Author; "Steelhead, the Supreme Trophy Trout;" Hancock
- 1977 Co-author; "Small Stream Rehabilitation & Salmonid
U.N.E.S.C.O. Educator's manual.
- 1976 Contributor; "Salmonids in the Classroom." S.E.P.
- 1975 Co-author; "A Naturalists Guide to the Comox Valley."
- 1972 Author/Editor; "Environmental Education," B.C. Intermediate
- 1969-75 Weekly outdoor columnist for 11 Vancouver Island newspapers
- 1966 Author; "Outdoor Clubs for Juniors;" B.C. Wildlife
W R I T I N G A W A R D S
Awards of Merit, Outdoor Writers of Canada.
Roderick Haig-Brown Memorial Award, North Pacific International Chapter
of the American Fisheries Society.
Excellence in Craft Awards, Northwest Outdoor Writers Association.
PROFESSIONAL WRITING MEMBERSHIPS
"Active" Member status in:
Outdoor Writers of Canada.
Outdoor Writers Association of America.
Northwest Outdoor Writers Association.